Explore, experience and enjoy life in Cape Town
What’s on in Cape Town in September?
Looking for Cape Town events in September? Our Expat Cape Town events calendar and see what’s on in Cape Town this month. I am sure you will find many exciting events happening in the Mother City this September. Find out which events are so worth to join and what is there to do and enjoy during your stay in Cape Town.
South African National parks week takes place this year from 8 – 15 September. During this week, you can enjoy free entrance to most of the South African national reserves and parks. So plan in a trip to the West Coast to see the spring flowers in bloom or make an excursion down the False Bay to Cape Point. Please note that entrance to Boulders Penguin Colony and the Table Mountain Cableway is not included. More here.
September is back-to-school month for the American and the French schools in Cape Town. Most other Cape Town schools, however, go with the South African school calendar and thus the kids are looking forward to the upcoming Spring School Holidays from 21 – 30 September 2019. A lot of exiting events for the whole family will be happening during this time. See our special holiday workshops and kids events info here.
Join in the celebrations on the public holiday, Heritage Day, Tuesday 24 September. Many Capetonians will use this public holiday for a great long weekend and city life will slow down a bit during this week – which is school holidays as well. So enjoy the many Heritage Day events with the local communities. Good to know, that this day is also dubbed ‘National Braai Day’ for the many braai gatherings taking place over the weekend.
Cape Town Events in September 2019: Events Calendar
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: Not a Musical – Marc Lottering. Until 20 September 2019. One of the best stand-up comedians in South Africa. Tickets from R110. More info.
• Cape Town, Milnerton: Virgo Fest 2019. 1 September 2019. Musical party at the Italian Club. More info.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: Orphée et Eurydice. 3 – 7 September 2019. Opera presented by the fabulous Cape Town Opera. Tickets from R180. More info.
• Cape Town, Fugard Theatre: Cape Town Open Book Festival. 4 – 8 September 2019. Various Cape Town events in September. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Naledi – An African Journey. 5 – 7 September 2019. New South African choral musical. Tickets: From R150. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Peppa Pig’s Big Day Out. 6 – 8 September 2019. Children’s show. Tickets: From R99. More info.
• Cape Town, Green Point: Western Cape Fun Run/Walk 2019. 8 September 2019. In support of the Sunflower Fund event at the Greenpoint Cricket Club. Tickets: R100. More info.
• Cape Town, Cape Point: National Parks Week 2019. 8 – 15 September 2019. Free entrance to all South African National Parks. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Stomp. 10 – 15 September 2019. Fascinating dance and theatre show for the whole family – again in Cape Town! Tickets: From R150. More info.
• Cape Town, Greenpoint: Cape Town Marathon. 15 September 2019. A weekend full of sports events where you also can join in the 5km peace fun run in Green Point Park or the 12km Peace trail on 14 September. More info.
• Cape Town, Newlands: Afro-Latin Dance Festival. 18 – 23 September 2019. This Mother City Dance Festival takes place at the Park Inn by Radisson. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Cape Town Baroque Festival. 18 – 24 September 2019 at various venues. Tickets: From R120. More info.
• Cape Town, V & A Waterfront: African Festival. 24 September 2019. Free concert at the amphitheatre from 12h30 – 14h30. More info here.
• Cape Town, Simonstown: Spring Regatta. 23 – 24 September 2019 at the False Bay Yacht Club. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Heritage Day. 24 September 2018. Entrance to the IzikoMuseums in Cape Town is free. Various events will take place throughout the city. Read more about Cape Town’s museums here.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: Baxter Dance Festival. 26 September 2019 – 5 October 2019. Tickets: From R80. More info and tickets.
Cape Town Events in September | What’s on in the Western Cape?
• Somerset West: Lourensford Market. Re-opening for the season 1 September 2019 at Lourensford Wine Estate. More info.
• Franschhoek, Cape Winelands: Franschhoek Uncorked. 14 – 15 September 2019. Get your weekend pass from R180 (weekend) early. More info.
• Hermanus, Overberg: Hermanus Whale Festival. 27 – 29 September 2019. Annual enviro-arts festival with entertainment for the whole family. More info.
• Wellington: Pinotage on Tap Festival. 28 September 2019 at Diemersfontein Wine Estate. Tickets: R295. More info.
• Durbanville: CY Indoor Market. 30 September 2019 – 6 October 2019 at the Stone Shed. Interior Decoration, clothing, home accessories. Entry Tickets: R50. More info.
• Various Flower festivals all over the Western Cape, check our special page here.
Flower Festivals in and around Cape Town | Cape Town Events in September
Admire the abundance of wildflowers in bloom around Cape Town. Spring flowers such as vygies, daisies and arum lilies color the lush greens after the rains. The South African wildflowers are protected by the way, so do not pick them or buy them at street vendors who sell them illegally and are not in possession of a permit. More about great Wildflower Festivals 2019 here.
Subscribe to our Cape Town newsletter. It’s free!